Thursday, October 29, 2009

Makin some peeps

So today, I might have signed Chad and myself up for a karate dojo, received my book club book in the mail, and gotten an e-mail from a super sweet girl who runs the Bath Stitch n Bitch group, which meets on Tuesdays and Saturdays.  Now that I've got a little job security, I'm looking to branch out in free or cheap ways, and to start making some friends!  I have to say, I'm not terribly impressed by my social scene thus far - primarily hanging out with all Chad's death friends (how morbid does that sound?  they're actually a super great group of people!).  I do really appreciate the various ways they've extended their friendship to me, but I realize that I need to get a life.  I've also been going to a bunch of classes at the Keynsham Leisure Centre - Zumba, yoga, and pilates, and chatting amiably with some women there.  I've also sent out a ton of enquiries into volunteer positions, primarily either massage or environmentally oriented, that will help me meet people and improve my skills.  I know I'm going to have a lot less time on my hands coming up pretty soon, so I just wanted to commit myself to a bunch of activities now so I can pick and choose later what suits me best. 

Tonight, we're headed over to Sheila's flat for dinner, and the GM at Sweaty Betty is having a birthday party with all the girls from the shop next Wednesday, quickly followed by my training in London on Thursday (where I'll also be picking up my sweet new Thai massage mat!  Thanks, Ebay!).  Next Thursday is also the 5th of November, Guy Fawkes Day, which almost makes the total lack of Halloween celebration here worthwhile.  Also known as "Bonfire Night", Chad, the roomies, and I are going to head into Bath to watch the fireworks and general merriment.  Friday is my first "real" day of work, but I'll be at the shop in Bristol for that, and "real" work for me starts on Monday, 9 November.  Let me tell you: I cannot wait.  I am so done with trying to entertain myself all day.  I need some stimulation, hard, and to be making some money so I don't feel so guilty living off our savings. 

So I'm off to walk the Nug, groom her for her first trip on the train this afternoon (Sheila insisted that we bring her, so we'll see how that goes.  I think I'm going to take her for a super long walkk to tire her out), and probably start my book club book.  I know I'll look back on these weeks as an extended holiday, and wish for them back, but it's important for me to feel useful, and that's the last thing I feel right now. 

Side note: Skip and Carol Thompson's granddaughter, Phoebe, had her most recent MRI yesterday, and all seems well.  I know that some of you have no idea who or what I'm talking about, but it's music to my ears. 

Jai!
s

1 comment:

  1. I want death friends!!! lol! Miss you, so glad you are finding your place and wiggling your little buns into a comfy position :) Pretty darn envious about Guy Fawkes night- lucky...
    and Hooray about Phoebe! Such great news.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete