Friday, October 9, 2009

An eventful day

Well.

Yesterday was Chad's first day of school, and though I spent an exorbitant amount of time trying to upload a pic of him leaving the yard to Facebook yesterday, it refused to load, so you'll have to take my word for it.  My computer has decided that it's ethernet port doesn't feel like working, so all the photos I have uploaded onto it will have to wait until we get a wireless router (hopefully tomorrow! Stay tuned!).
In my free time on my first day sans Chad, I was on line looking for fun, inspiring jobs and getting a bit frustrated, so I decided to go for a run.  It was a spectacularly gorgeous day and I wanted to take advantage of all that sunshine, so rather than head to the gym and hopping on the treadmill, I made my way down to a really beautiful trail that runs an enormous distance along the River Avon.  It was more of an exploratory run - let's see how far I can get -  so I was just loping along, feeling pretty great (which might have had something to do with the fact that it was downhill most of the way ;).  Just then, fate stuck out it's invisible foot (it couldn't possibly have had anything to do with my exceptional coordination), and I fell.  I groaned a bit and felt sorry for myself having to walk home instead of continuing my run.  Poor me.  It's so hard to be Sarah.  Wah wah wah.  It was just about then that I decided to pull up my pant leg so I could see the bruise that was already starting and wallow a bit more in self pity.  Much to my surprise, there was no angry bruise developing.  There was a HOLE.  In my knee.  I had apparently falled right on a pointy rock when I fell, and though it didn't rip my pants, it put a HOLE in my knee.  I almost posted a pic of it (because obviously I took one), but decided that y'all didn't need to see that.  So lucky me, it wasn't bleeding or anything, but it was clearly something I had to take care of and had no idea where to go or who to call.  So I walk the mile or so back home, try to find a walk-in centre in Keynsham, come up empty handed, start freaking out, and call Chad.  Poor Chad.  It was his first day of school.  He was in between classes, having lunch with some of his fellow students, and his hysterical wife calls.  Long story short, after making darn sure Chad was staying put at school, I managed to find a general information line for the National Health Service (NHS) and figure out that I would have to go to the emergency room.  I got a book, hopped the train, and headed over to the hospital.  Long and super boring story short (I'm glad I brought the book), I was walking out with five stitches in my knee about two and a half hours after walking in, having paid nothing for my services and being treated extremely well by everyone I came in contact with. 
When Chad came home around 6:30, I was sitting on the couch with my leg up, a cider in my hand, and dinner sort of figured out.  He gave me a run down of the day (which I'll let him relate here), and we called it an early night.

So on to the weekend - we've got a walk and talk around Bath tomorrow with one of Chad's professors (which includes lunch at a Thai restaurant - yay!), and a visit with my aunt and uncle on Sunday...I think (are you guys out there?  Are we definitely doing this?  Give a ring when you have a chance!).  Monday will find Chad and I signing up with a GP in Keynsham (because, clearly, I need medical care closer by).  We've already signed Nug up with a vet, but not ourselves with a GP.  Where are our priorities?

So after my little self-pity schpiel last time, I'm feeling a change in my attitude thanks to yesterday.  I think this may be the universe telling me to slow down for a while, so I'm going to try to do just that and trust that things will work out.  We are here for a reason and I don't think my lack of a job after two weeks of being here is going to make or break our ability to stay.  So I'll certainly keep looking and sending out enquiries (what the heck else am I going to do without being able to run for two weeks?), but I'm not going to freak out about it anymore and let things happen...you know...till I get bored again.

xxoo
s

No comments:

Post a Comment